Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Common Sense Y'all


 As if this entry needed an opening, am I right folks?  Common sense.  Just not enough of it to go around these days.  I know I have it.  I know I am instilling it in my children.  The rest of the world?  Not so sure.  This girl makes my brain ache.  She is endearing and sweet, but painful to watch.  I recall being behind a gal in the post office a couple  years ago...she wanted  to send a package to Africa.  The postal worker explained the over-seas charge.  The girl looked at the woman with a straight face and said, "Africa is NOT over seas!"  Really Einstein?
 She was IN COLLEGE!!!  ENROLLED and taking classes!!!  Are you kidding me?  Sad to say at the least.  Another PRIME example is someone that has a great job...yet decides to air his frustrations about his job ON LINE!  For lack of a better word...DUH!!!  Have some common sense enough to know that your co-workers see it therefore your boss will see it.  I would say poor sap, but he should have known better.  I suppose what I am getting at is the simple fact that everyone is so focused on making sure their kids are the brightest of the bunch when it comes to
 book smarts, they completely negate street smarts.  And let's face it, in this day and age you HAVE to have street smarts.  Street smarts=common sense.  There are so many more dangers around every corner these days.  Common sense it what saves lives every day!  Go to get in your car,  have a little trouble with the groceries and unlocking the car...stranger offers to help...what do you do?  Ignore them! Same premise, if you park somewhere open...then come back outside to walk to your car to find a van parked close by...what do you do?  You look from afar under the van, and NEVER open your car door from the side the van is parked on...and STAY AWARE!!  If you have kids...you ALWAYS keep them with you until the groceries

are unloaded.  NEVER put them in the car first...no matter how cold it is outside.  Unless you have the option of holding your keys in hand while locking the doors and loading things in the back.  Common sense.  Two words that could throw off the most experienced of predators.  I don't think they put enough emphasis on common sense in schools anymore...it is all technical learning.  Phonics, check.  Addition, check.  Not enough, I guess most would call it scare tactics.  But think about it.  Wouldn't you rather your child know the dangers of the outside world?  I would.  I make sure they know.
Maybe all too well in some eyes.  A child goes missing, they watch the news cast.  A child has an accident of any kind, they watch the news cast.  I want my babies to know and UNDERSTAND the consequences of things.  How many years have people been preaching about the dangers of the internet and talking to strangers?  Yet there are so many teenagers and kids that still do it!  Without their parents knowledge!!!  Parents:  STEP UP!!!  BE AWARE!!!  And make your kids aware!!  Be present in what they are saying and doing!  We can only be there so much as parents...but I am begging you...be there.  Not to the point of annoyance, but be there ALWAYS.  Look out for them.  Don't spy on them, don't allow it to get to that point.  Teach your children early the greatness that comes from having common sense and the greatness that can come from having an open relationship with their parents.  The reward is greater than you may think!  Especially when you have the privilege of tucking in your baby every night unlike so many others that no longer have the option.  I am in NO way saying it is some parents fault their babies are no longer within arms reach, it is not...that would be the low life predator I am preaching to y'all to avoid...but I am advocating that we as parents instill as firmly as possible the repercussions of our child's actions.  All the while keeping them close at home and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment